Hip pain is a common health problem that affects both the young and the old. Given that hips serve numerous functions in the body, they are quite susceptible to injuries and damage from wear and tear during everyday activities, movements, and accidents. Early detection, diagnosis, and treatment can protect patients from long-term chronic pain and other hip pain-related complications. Our chiropractors at Houma-Thibodaux Spine & Rehabilitation provide expert diagnosis and treatment for hip pain.
Types of Hip Pain
There are three types of hip pain, including:
- Hip flexor pain: This occurs on the outer part of the hip, buttocks, and upper thigh. The pain is usually due to a soft tissue injury.
- Hip joint pain: It is often more severe and occurs in the inner part of the hip and groin area.
- Referred hip pain: This refers to pain that is felt in a particular area, whereas it is another area that is causing the pain. You may experience hip pain as a way of your body communicating that something else is wrong.
Causes of Hip Pain
The causes for hip pain include:
- Fractures and dislocations
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Referred pain from other health disorders
The Signs and Symptoms of Hip Pain
- A dull ache that worsens with pressure or movement
- Pain that reduces or worsens with certain positions
- Finding relief with moderate exercise but discomfort from moving excessively
When to See a Doctor for Hip Pain
Seek medical attention for your hip pain if:
- There is a joint deformity
- You experience a limited range of motion in your hips or legs
- You cannot tolerate weight or maintain balance on the affected hip
- You experience severe aches
- There is inflammation
- There are signs of infection such as a fever or change of skin color
Chiropractic Care Can Ease Hip Pain
Our chiropractors start by going over your medical history, followed by a thorough physical examination. We then investigate to determine the root cause of the problem before administering a personalized treatment plan. The treatment plan will likely include chiropractic adjustments and manipulations, targeted manual exercises, massage therapy, and posture recommendations. Our treatment aims to relax muscle tension, strengthen the joints and ligaments, improve range of movement, reduce inflammation, and increase blood flow to facilitate healing.
Contact Our Chiropractors at Houma-Thibodaux Spine & Rehabilitation
If you or a loved one is suffering from hip pain, our chiropractors at Houma-Thibodaux Spine & Rehabilitation will help you find long-lasting hip pain relief. Call our Thibodaux office today at (985) 447-2225 or our Houma office at (985) 873-8586. You can also reach us through our website by using our online contact form.